I'm Getting Those Cookies: An Interview with Dr. J. Edward Dukes


What are the Cookies?  
 I constantly get ask this question. Many people believe I am literally talking about real cookies. The first chapter in my book entitled “Auntie’s Cookie Jar “ explains my experience as a child with cookie jars.  You can see the cookies but they were out of reach. The cookies in my book are a metaphor for dreams and aspiration that you see others living but seem out f reach.


What is your target audience? 
I want to attract persons over 18 that have had some life experiences that have been difficult. This book is for the people that has dreams but has been knocked down but desire to get back up.
 

What was an early experience where you learned that language had power?
  I will never forget my mother telling me I was special and can be great. Her words still are the source of my motivation.


What is the first book that made you cry?
The Color Purple

Does writing energize or exhaust you?
It absolutely energizes me to write. What is exhausting is reliving the life experiences that brought me through fears and tears.


How much research do you do?
Research is a must. People fact check. So I I research every thought and idea before I put it on paper.
 

What genre are your books?
Personal life coaching and inspiration

 
What is your writing Kryptonite?
Procrastination. Just start writing something everyday.
 

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?
Making sure that I explain and give every detail of my experience because my audience was not present when it happen to me.


What period of your life do you find you write about most often? (child, teenager, young adult, etc.).
I find myself writing a lot about my childhood. With a degree in counseling, I have learned that childhood experiences lead to adult behaviors. Therefore I want to dissect my childhood so I can correct my adult decisions.
 

What is your secret accomplishment in writing this book?
My secret is that I used my children as inspiration. My son, Malachi is on the cover. My daughter, Emerald wrote a awesome forward. And the last chapter is about how my children help me realize my dream.
 

What can we expect next from you?
I am collaborating with my wife Christy Dukes on an inspirational book for couples entitled “Almost Divorced… He Said / She Said”

+ + +



Dr. J. Edward Dukes a personal inspirational coach and the creator of the social media sensation “The Butt Naked Truth” masterfully takes us on a journey of self-discovery. A journey that starts with a cookie jar in his Auntie’s kitchen and walks us through his life’s trials and triumphs. He is an expert at interweaving his personal stories, life lessons and words of encouragement to make you laugh, cry, think and inspire you to realize your fullest potential.   


You can find Dr. Dukes online http://www.drjedwarddukes.com



Be sure to join us for Part 2 of this interview on 
Modern Living with Dr. Angela on February 14th at 
3pm PST/6pm EST. 


0 Comentarios