From the Situation to the Destination

Does writing energize or exhaust you?
Writing energizes me.  Anytime I can share what God has put on my heart that gives me a burst of energy.  Being able to impact lives in a positive manner gets my blood pumping!

What are common traps for aspiring writers?
Initially for me it was just getting started.  We have all these great ideas and we know that there is a book in us but we lack the confidence to even believe that someone would want to read what I wrote.  Even when family and friends encourage you. 

What is your writing Kryptonite?
It takes me a while to get the thoughts organized.  Trying to stay focused on one project at a time can be challenging when you are receiving so much input.  I have journals all over the house!

Do you think someone could be a writer if they don’t feel emotions strongly?
Absolutely.  You don’t have to be emotional to write a technical piece.  It depends on what audience you are trying to reach, what story are you trying to tell or share. 

What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better writer?
LaWanda Holliman, co-author of Madam President, has been instrumental in helping me organize ideas.  She helps me see the big picture.
Cynthia Middlebrooks Harris, Author of The Other Side of Through, has mentored me in the business aspects of authorship, marketing and introduced me to a litany of tools to help refine my writing.

 Do you want each book to stand on its own, or are you trying to build a body of work with connections between each book?
I want each book to stand on it’s own.  The only connection between my writings would be they remind us that God is ultimately in control.

How did publishing your first book change your process of writing?
I am still in disbelief that I’m a published author!  The process has given me insight about audiences and how they receive your work.  Trying to get them to write reviews though, has been a challenge. 

What was the best money you ever spent as a writer?
PR Materials.  A banner, business cards and a table skirt can do wonders for your marketing strategy.  When engaged in a book signing, the public will see your set up and make judgments about your book.  What they see tells a story as well as the one you wrote.

What was an early experience where you learned that language had power?
As a member of the Armed Forces I responded to the words of drill sergeants and leaders across my career that have motivated me to do things I never thought I could do.  Impassioned speeches that moved me to action and have made me the leader I am today.  I use words and language to motivate people to take a stand, move forward or take a look back.  Words are powerful – Proverbs 18:21 states “Life and death are in the power of the tongue”.   

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?
I have a collage of poetry – just need to sort through them and discover the themes for each book or books.  I love discovering how God is going to pull it together.
   
What does literary success look like to you?
The dream is to one day be on the New York Times Best Seller List, but the measure of my success is if lives are positively impacted and changed because someone read my book or heard me speak.  

=====================

You can pick up a copy of 

From the Situation to the Destination 

by Leslie Dillard

0 Comentarios