Interview with author Matthew J Murphy


Matthew J. Murphy’s new book Remedy: How I Cured the Incurable ($17.99, paperback, 9781545606285; $7.99, eBook, 9781545606292) is the go-to book for those suffering from IBD, IBS, Ulcerative Colitis, and Crohn’s Disease. It provides an alternative path to overcoming debilitative digestive and autoimmune disorders through bone broth, faith, and alternative remedies. 

An estimated 60-70 million Americans suffer from digestive ailments according to the National Institutes of Health. This book provides an alternative means to heal outside of standard medical path of surgery and lifelong medication.

Murphy writes, “My story of faith and the steps I took to combat an illness few ever triumph against will both inspire and enable someone else to live the best life possible, despite what medical experts have told them.”




What are common traps for aspiring writers? 
  I believe that editing is the biggest unseen trap. Prepare to have many edits. You need them. It may get discouraging for a writer to find so many mistakes. I had two professionals edit my book. One from the publisher. I also had 5 friends edit the book. In addition, I must have read and re-read my book 30 times. Each time there were mistakes and paragraphs that I re-wrote to flow better. This is the name of the game. Also, don’t be afraid to delete. If you wonder if something should be in the book delete it. You have to hold the readers interest and if it makes you the author perk an ear up in confusion in just a teeny bit then it surely will the reader in a bigger way.


Did you ever consider writing under a pseudonym?
No. I’m proud of my work. 


What was your hardest scene to write? 
The two difficult topics were to write about my relationship break-up and court case. I am sure most people don’t want to rehash painful life moments but they were necessary for my story. It relates to the body/mind/spirit connection in the healing process. Negativity in the form of fear, resentment, or condemnation to name a few ultimately manifest themselves in the body in some manner.


 Do you try more to be original or to deliver to readers what they want? 
I wrote my book pretty much on what I wanted to find for help when I was looking for an alternative means to recover from an illness. I wanted a story and details of the person’s life recovering as well as the steps and remedies. So that is what I provided. It is original in the manner I told my story but it also provides the reader what they need (which is the remedies and healing schedule) which is ultimately what they want as they want to heal too. I also provide a sense of hope. Deep down I believe a patient wants hope that they too will smile again in the face of adversity.


What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book? 
My research began out of necessity. I was very ill. I spent 5 months researching and documenting information and sources prior to even contemplating writing a book on my subject. With the topic of my subject on healing I did not stop there. I continued with research for a year during the time spent actually writing the book as well. The shear amount of information required this commitment.


What’s your favorite under-appreciated novel? 
My absolute favorite is the Captains and the Kings by Taylor Caldwell. It was later turned into a mini-series with popular actors from the time (1976). Cast included John Carradine, Jane Seymour, Beverly D’Angelo, and Henry Fonda. The subject matter is an eye opener in the book and very relatable to the power and political conflicts that continue yet today. It seems that very few know about the book.  It is a good read.


What’s the best way to market your books?
I believe podcasts are the best way. I went through a POD publisher and very little help is given to the author for marketing. Suggestions are made to do book signings but why spend a day reaching maybe 20-30 potential customers when a podcast such as Dr. Angela’s can be selected based on the book genre and reach thousands.


Which writers inspire you? 
Taylor Caldwell, George MacDonald Fraser, and Johnnie M. Clark. Excellent writers. When I can read a book more than once that is the sign of a excellence.

What are you working on at the minute? 
This is my first book. I always had one in me just as I believe everyone does. I am working on getting the word out for this book. I do have a good portion of my research completed for my next book however. When I am done with the current marketing, my next book will be based upon my senior military officer experience in the middle east which will bring to light legitimate points for the United States not to be there based on Sun Tzu “The Art of War” thesis. Basically about how if we stick our nose in a hornets nest enough times we will eventually get stung.



Why do you write?  
I probably should have been a teacher but my childhood dream was twofold being a military pilot and and electrical engineer. Yes a strange duo dream combo. Well, I achieved both of those dreams. I suppose my illness kick started me into my other forte which is teaching. I figure I can reach the greatest amount of people seeking the knowledge on my particular writing topics through print.







Matthew J. Murphy is a senior military officer, pilot, and engineer.     Visit the website at  www.enlightenmetoday.org

0 Comentarios