Return of the Pied Piper: An Author Interview Michael J Sceptre

Why do I write?
I find writing more personal and intimate way of communicating with strangers. We have never met, the reader doesn’t know me but my writing, my book, somehow connects us on a deeper level and yet gives both of us a chance to independently make up our own minds whether to believe the ideas in the book. I write to express my thoughts in a medium that lasts longer than If I made a speech. Today we still have the works of Shakespeare, even the Bible is still here - so writing allows me to share my ideas with today, tomorrow and future generations. That's powerful in my opinion.

When did you decide to become a writer?
If it was not for lack of information and my deep fear of the unknown I could have decided to become a writer from a very young age. I only made the decision one day while visiting Rome, Italy. Back in early 2016, I went on a solo trip and after visiting the Colosseum, walking around the beautiful city of Rome, and just contemplating Rome was called the ‘eternal’ city, I just wanted to do something that lasts even beyond my lifetime, and writing was high up on the lists of things that can last for centuries. One quiet evening, while listening to jazz music at Gregory’s Jazz Cafe, it suddenly hit me - become a writer! The freedom of being able to write from anywhere in the world, at any time, any place was so exciting. All I needed was my imagination and passion for storytelling. That is when I had a conviction that I wanted to write.

How much research do you do?
I love history and I read every day so I practically research all day, every day. I have an insatiable thirst for knowledge - I am curious to learn, so am always researching. Actually, I was researching something totally unrelated and stumbled upon Robert Browning’s Pied Piper of Hamelin story. The history of the Pied Piper fascinated me more so because I felt strongly that it was half a story - what happened to the missing children? Where did the Pied Piper go?

Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
I have admired the acting style of Tom Hanks and that is because I have watched Forrest Gump several times and his performances in the film really make me emotional. In it he has good intentions even though things take turns for the worst - this is similar the Pied Piper, he has good intentions but his decision making sometimes lends him in big trouble with everyone including those he cares about.

What draws you to this genre?
I still believe in this special thing called love. As Princess Diana once remarked, “There is so much sadness in the world!” - I just truly believe that love goes a long way to help us through life. Fantasy is a genre that allows me to be creative and imaginative again. Something I just stopped doing while finding myself.

Give us an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is so special?
Everyone knows the story of the Pied Piper and yet there isn’t information about him. We just know that he has this magical ability which he uses to help others. In my book, each chapter will give the reader insight into his character. So for starters, his decision making is woeful. In fact, him luring away the kids in revenge was one of many woeful decisions - even though he had good intentions. The Piper is also very naive. In Robert Browning’s poem, he agrees to help the Mayor without a down payment - the signs were there that they might struggle because they did complain when he mentioned the price! This is a theme you will see throughout the book - how others manipulate his naivety to their own advantage. The Piper is unaware of a special gift he has - he thinks the flute gives him magical abilities but there is more to him than what meets the eye. It takes another character, Sophia, to show the reader and the Piper himself how special he is. There is a special power that the Piper has that you only see glimpses of during the book - only certain characters can bring it out of him. The reason why this power is not revealed explicitly in the book is that even the Piper himself doesn’t know he has it! There is a part of the book where he has to live the flute (pipe) behind, a discerning reader would see the hidden clues about this special power in the ensuing scenes!

Where can we buy the book:

For US readers - https://goo.gl/drwf7L 

For readers in the UK - https://goo.gl/8QrBHq 

For readers in Germany - https://goo.gl/D6otXW 


Which writers inspire you?
I am inspired by mainly female writers like J. K. Rowling, Daniel Steele & Enid Blyton. I should say I love the Psalms by David too - when you read the Psalms you get a deeper appreciation of why God said David was a man “after his own heart”!

What is your favorite childhood book?
I was always drawn to book series - so Famous Five, Sherlock Holmes and Goosebumps are my top favourites.


What was your hardest scene to write? 
The first scene of the book. I have used the first scene as a bridge between Robert Browning’s Pied Piper of Hamelin Poem and my love story. The book is a romantic fantasy novel but I felt that I could not just jump into the love story first without helping the reader cross the bridge i.e. from the Pied Piper luring the kids away and him returning to Hamelin and falling in love which is what inspires him to go find the missing children.



Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find? 
Oh yes, there is plenty of those in the book. Its inspired by some of my favorite biblical books, Daniel and Revelation which do the same thing but brilliantly.

If you didn’t write, what would you do for work?
I would probably be a teacher like my grandfather

How do you select the names of your characters?
The name depends on the personality of the character (or backstory). Back in high school, I used to give people nicknames so some of those nicknames have found their way into the book, for example, Spinky the fish from the Invisible Ocean - that is from a former high school friend. 

Do you view writing as a kind of spiritual practice?
Definitely. I write about what is close to my heart. Writing allows me to express myself freely which is empowering.

What does literary success look like to you? 
If I can make the Pied Piper story my own then I guess that is a success. I have reimagined a classic story and if the Pied Piper is ever recognized as a romantic and not as the child thief then I consider it a literary success.

0 Comentarios