Seven Threads with Jason Atkinson

An interview with Jason Atkinson

Seven Threads by Jason Atkinson
Does writing energize or exhaust you? 
I think it depends on the day! But in all seriousness, writing does not typically exhaust me because I am almost always writing a story or about a topic that is uplifting and hopeful. In the past I have attempted my hand at a darker, doom and gloom style, and that has worn me out. So I think as long as I stay with the type of writing that I am good at, I get more energy out of it.

Do you think someone could be a writer if they don’t feel emotions strongly? 
Yes, absolutely. Writing can be an art form. Regardless of how much you feel, you can always find a way to write – the question then becomes, will there be an audience that can connect with you? That I don’t know the answer too, but you can always write.


How do you balance making demands on the reader with taking care of the reader? 
The great part about the 3-books I have published so far is that I give the reader just enough to get by, without being over bearing. My first 2-books are under 100 pages. That was done on purpose! The third book is the size of a novel, but will not read the same as an actual novel. I love this because regardless of a person’s reading style, it can fit anyone.

Do you view writing as a kind of spiritual practice? 
I personally do. Regardless if I am writing self-help, or if it is another short story for my Fiction writing, I always find myself feeling what the character in the story feels. Because I prefer to write about things that have a “good feel” vibe or common well being of human kind, I find writing to be quite a peaceful process.

What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters from the opposite sex? 
What makes this process difficult is the fact that I am not one of them! I know it sounds funny to say, but it’s true. Women/ladies are a mystery, one in which I enjoy exploring and understanding. But in order to write a good story with emotion of the opposite sex, you have to know how they might respond to a situation or words spoken to them or about them. It’s not the easiest thing, but it is certainly do-able.

What did you edit out of this book? 
I actually ended up taking a whole short story out and replacing it with a newly drafted story that I hadn’t really had to decide on if it was staying or not.  It was definitely a gut feeling decision, and I think overall it has worked out for the best. Which story is it? I guess that will have to be my little secret about this book!

Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones? 
I absolutely read any reviews I get. I want to know if I am connecting to the reader with the stories they read. If I can’t get a reaction out of someone that just took time to read a story from my book, then I may as well burn it and move on. I am thankful that so far, readers have very much enjoyed the story I give away for free – which leaves me feeling hopeful that the others will also be enjoyed.

Does your family support your career as a writer? 
I have great support from my wife and both sets of parents. They are always there to show support and interest, which makes this journey even more exciting for me.

So, what have you written?  
 My first book is called “A Life of Heart: Unlocking Your True Potential” and my second published book is a workbook for relationships. “Relationships: Under Construction – A 14-day journey into your relationship”.
Both of these books are for those that want to see a positive improvement in their lives and in the lives of those around them.
I have written poetry in the past (many years ago) and also write a blog on my website that is designed around the first book A Life of Heart. I hope to inspire and push others towards a better tomorrow.

And of course, Seven Threads: A Book of Short Stories is the latest title to hit the shelves. This book has 7-shorts in it all unique but also all sharing the same common goodness towards humankind. And since I am giving out one of those short stories for free, I hope people will connect with me and enjoy it enough to buy the book so they can experience all of it.

Why do you write? 

Image may contain: 1 person, closeup
I write for a few reasons. If anyone reads my first book “A life of Heart” it explains it all in there. But the basic reasoning is to give something back to the community around me. Whether it is gentle advise to help become a better version of themselves, or to take their relationship to the next level; or merely sit back and relax with a good story – I want to impact the life of those that read my work. There is already way too much negativity in society – I want to bring some positivity out of everyone I meet through my books.


Friend Jason on Facebook: facebook.com/AuthorJasonAtkinson/
Visit website: http://alifeofheart.com/


===================

Listen to part 2 of this interview on Modern Living with Dr. Angela on 6 June 2017 at 10am PT/1pm ET.


0 Comentarios