Client vs. Patient

A few days ago, I learned that many of the shop people that I dealt with in the neighborhood, didn't realize my profession until one simple conversation in Nordstrom's Rack.

"Good afternoon Angela, how are you today?" she asked. "Having a great day; full day of clients this afternoon." I said feeling good about having completed my morning tasks, which allowed me time to look around and shop before starting my work day.

She then looked at me without batting and eye lash, "Where do you do hair?" she said. The question assumed that I was a hair stylist or cosmetologist. "I don't do hair, I'm a counselor." I replied, with a confused look on my face.

She quickly says, "I'm sorry, I thought,...you said clients." And then it hit me. She now fumbles with my credit cards trying to get me out of her line as fast as possible.  I responded, "I can understand that. You're right, I don't say patients, I say clients." Trying to reassure her.

It wasn't until she actually looked at my card to see that it read, Dr. Angela. Now, when she sees me, her greeting is "Morning Doc!"

I say that to say this -- there is a reason for the difference in usage of name for me and my office. A mind set that hopefully not only affects how I deal with the people who use my services, but how they think of themselves as well.

I use the word “client”, not “patient," because the word “patient” can imply a medical model in which the doctor works on and heals the patient, and the patient more passively receives the treatment. Pastoral Counseling is different; it involves your active participation. You hire me, and we work together.

The medical terminology of "patient" also implies that you are sick in your body - those who need help versus those who do not. I prefer to think of it as walking along a path and the occasional loosing of your footing: sometimes walking along the sure path, and sometimes walking along the overgrown, dead end path. It is during those times that you seek out my assistance.

So, I will only call those who visit with me - clients.
"Not accepting patients at this time."

0 Comentarios